|Temperature: 36.7°F | Humidity: 99% | Pressure: 30.42in ( Falling) | Conditions: Partly Cloudy | Wind Direction: East | Wind Speed: 0.0mph|
Downed wire knocks out power Friday to thousands in Monroe
December 24, 2016
Snohomish County PUD was on the case and solved the power outage.
(MONROE, WA.) -- Twas the morning before the morning before Christmas morning and all through the house not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
Well, actually there was a mouse but granddad - who is on 11 different medications and has an anger management issue - took a big four pound hammer and...well, trust us: you don't want to know the rest.
But we digress. On to the power outage. It was big, it was fat and it was dark. And when it hit, people immediately went for their guns. The terrorists were here, no doubt.
Finally. The moment arrives. The reason Americans have been stocking up on guns and ammo all these years. Vindication! We were right all along.
In the dark, with terrorists on the loose, there's no comfort like the feel of a warm, John Moses Browning designed Colt 1911 semi-auto hand cannon chambered in - not that woosy .45 auto round that girly-girls use - but full-house 10mm loads which can kill anything in North America including vampires.
But we digress.
Electrical power (better known as go-juice), just like people, sometimes poops out. Gets tired. Don't want to go to work. It just wants to shut down and get under a nice warm electric blanket which, in the case of Friday morning, was impossible to do because the go-juice went out in a large portion of Monroe. (No go-juice, no warm blankie.)
People were driving to work in the 7 am hour and Monroe was all blacked out. No shop signs, no lights in windows, it was downright freaky; like one of those movies were people are walking through a vacant town after a nuclear war.
So Snohomish County PUD sent out the word, "Large portion of Monroe is out of power. We have three crews in the area searching for the cause. They'll make repairs as soon as possible."
They were on the case.
Then, not too long after that another message arrives via telegraph: "Approximately 10,000 customers out in Monroe. A wire came down which created a current that disrupted 2 substations. Crews are working on repairs. Restoration may take 4 to 6 hours. Put on some extra layers of clothing to stay warm!"
And so we did put on those extra layers. But more importantly, we knew how to light a fire in a fireplace. Fire starting skills are highly under-rated in modern society.
Then about 9:33 am came the word, "Switching has been done to bring power back to some customers. 4,100 remain w/out power. Crews are on site making repairs."
Things were starting to get back to normal. Then at 10:17 am came the word, "All customers in Monroe have been restored. Thanks everyone!"
And that was that.
By the way, the PUD offices will be closed on Monday Dec. 26 in observance of Christmas Day. Report outages 24/7 to 425-783-1001.