|Temperature: 62.1°F | Humidity: 91% | Pressure: 30.04in (Steady) | Conditions: Smoke | Wind Direction: East | Wind Speed: 0mph|
BUSH HOUSE BLDG. IN INDEX PURCHASED
July 15, 2012
(INDEX, WA) -- The 6,000 square foot building that houses the old Bush House Inn & Restaurant in Index, closed for many years by the previous owners after an earthquake, has been purchased by local residents with an eye toward reopening the building as a commercial venture.
The Bush House as it looked in the Summer of 2008. Sky Valley Chronicle photo.
Built in 1898, the Bush House restaurant and hotel was initially managed by Clarence Bush and his wife who operated the property as a hotel serving railway passengers who were traveling over Stevens Pass.
Although the business changed ownership several times, it managed to keep its original name. Closed for a period during the Great Depression and beyond, the hotel re-opened in the 1970s and served for many years as a restaurant and community gathering place.
Then in the early 2000’s Snohomish County revoked the hotel’s Certificate of Occupancy due to structural and public safety concerns. Since that time the building has been vacant and has been subject to vandalism and squatters.
At a news conference in 2009 in Seattle the Washington Trust for Historic Preservation announced it had placed the Bush House building its list of thirteen endangered, historically important buildings in Washington State.
More on the history of the building can be found in this 2009 Sky Valley Chronicle article here
Local resident Thom Boulllion says the building was purchased by a family that lives in Index and that work began in January on rehabilitating the old structure which has remained vacant for some ten years slowly deteriorating.
Plants surrounding the building have been removed and demolition of a deteriorated wing is planned as part of the renovation effort.
The building houses a lounge, restaurant and 11 hotel rooms upstairs.