GENERAL VALLEY NEWS
Want a gig where you'll start at almost $55K a year plus great benefits package?
Look no further
January 24, 2017
(SNOHOMISH COUNTY, WA.) -- How would you like a gig that pays from a starting level of $54,890 a year and tops out at $71,874 in 2017 dollars?
A gig that requires no experience or college degree. A gig where they train you to do the whole thing and to boot you get your choice of company medical plans and a pay package that may include college incentive pay, longevity pay and "specialty pay" if available.
Does that sound better than doing the night shift at Wally Mart?
Were do you find such a job? Well, not many places in private enterprise these days unfortunately, where the race to the bottom is still the marching order.
For a gig like the one described above, you'll have to swallow your pride and think about goin' to work for that dreaded..."guvment!"
That's right kiddo. The place that Ronald Reagan said was not the solution but the problem. Only in this case, it might be one of your few solutions to the problem of poverty in today's job market.
Where do you find such a gig? At the Snohomish County Sheriff's office as a deputy.
The sheriff's office posted a job opening, seeking candidates for sheriff deputy a few days ago. And here is what you'll do should you get the gig:
A Snohomish County deputy sheriff patrols a diverse environment - from urban to rural - and performs a wide variety of jobs from deterring crime to conducting investigations. The Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office employs over 280 commissioned staff in a many different specialty units, including:
• major crimes
• property crimes
• collision investigation
Depending on assignment and experience, a Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office deputy will:
• patrol unincorporated Snohomish County to deter and discover crimes
• conduct crime scene investigations
• enforce laws and ordinances
• assist the public assistance
• respond to crime scenes, secure the scene; interview victims and witnesses; gather and preserve evidence; arrest suspects; prepare required reports
• investigate and report accidents; administer emergency first aid until aid car arrives
• issue notices of infraction and citations to violators of state laws and county ordinances; serve warrants of arrest
• interview and investigate citizen complaints; respond to inquiries; provide information to the public on laws and ordinances; assist in resolving problems; make referrals to appropriate agencies as necessary
• guard prisoners at hospitals and/or in court; transport prisoners to and from jail and court
• prepare required reports and maintain necessary records
• testify as a credible witness in court as required
The work is rewarding but demanding and deputies may be called upon to work with distraught or difficult individuals, stand for prolonged periods, work outdoors (even in inclement weather), travel throughout the county and work on holidays and/or weekends.
You gotta be 21, a US citizen, have a driver's license at time of hire, be upright and breathing and have a high school diploma or a GED although an associate of arts degree or 90 credits of college level course work including courses in law enforcement, criminal justice, or a closely related field is preferred (for obvious reasons).
Having a history as a gangster with baggy pants and a long list of priors might be a stumbling block for you in getting this job. Just sayin.'
Applicants will be expected to pass a variety of job-related tests, including a Civil Service examination and pre-employment examinations including, but not limited to, a complete background investigation, fingerprinting, criminal record check, polygraph examination, a medical examination, and a psychological evaluation.
That last part (psychological evaluation) could be a problem if you're hearing voices and seeing visions of St. Augustine and the late wrestler Andre the Giant.
Closing date to apply is Dec. 31, 2017 so you have a long time to get rid of those voices in your head.
Snohomish County Sheriff's Office
3000 Rockefeller Ave. M/S 606Everett, Washington 98201