Little girl rescued from fire in Pierce County home passes away at hospital July 21, 2018
CLICK TO ENLARGE
(SEATTLE, WA.) – An 11-year old disabled girl rescued from a burning home in Graham, Washington Friday morning by two firefighters has died.
“Sorry to inform everyone that the 11 year old girl rescued today (Friday) by the brave firefighters passed away tonight (Fri. evening) at harbor view in Seattle. Nothing suspicious about fire,” said a tweet from the sheriff’s office.
Neighbors had noticed smoke coming out of the house and called 911.
By the time firefighters got there just before 11 am the home was fully engulfed in flames. Two South Pierce firefighters went into the home and got on their hands and knees putting their lives at risk to try and find the girl and bring her out to safety.
Assistant Chief Steve Richards with the Graham Fire Department said the two “just had minutes” to find and grab the girl and get out of the burning structure. She was taken to a hospital in critical condition.
Firefighters had responded to the home in the 4300 block of 293rd Street Court at around 10:40 am. The firefighters told sheriff’s deputies that when they got to the house it was fully engulfed in flames and an elderly woman was on the porch screaming that her 11-year-old disabled granddaughter was inside in a bedroom.
The two firefighters, in what the sheriff’s office said was an “incredible display of bravery” climbed through a window into the girl’s bedroom that was filled with smoke and once inside had to search on hands and knees until they found her.
But by then it was so smoky they couldn’t even see how to get back to where they entered the home and they had to literally navigate their way out by following the screams of the grandmother outside.