In Kent, WA The House Is A Charred Mess But smoke alarms saved the entire family January 02, 2018
House fire the Kent, WA family escaped. Photos:PSRFA. CLICK TO ENLARGE
(KENT, WA.) -- The power of a few inexpensive smoke alarms to save lives was proven once again on New Year's Day.
Authorities say a Kent family was awakened just before 5:00 am Monday by the sound of smoke alarms blaring in their home in the 11800 block of SE 261st Place.
As a result of being alerted to the danger, all three family members and their two dogs were able to get out of the burning structure safely, according to the Puget Sound Regional Fire Authority which said a family member then called 911 after getting out safely.
When Firefighters arrived the fire was raging and the first floor of the two story home was engulfed in flames.
It turned out the fire was caused by a sofa which had been placed "too close to a natural gas powered fireplace insert," according to the PSRFA.